Gymnastics Ireland Case Study
Gymnastics Ireland is the main Irish Sports headquarters and national governing body for the sport of gymnastics in Ireland. As an existing client of Eyekiller Ltd, Ciaran Gallagher (CEO of Gymnastics’ Ireland) requested a new website with an update. This refresh was required to modernise and make the site mobile-friendly, but it also required better organisation and need to meet their new KPI targets.
This was my first major project at Eyekiller where I was solely responsible for the UX process. I had direct access to the client, and reported directly to my manager. The following case study has been split into 4 sections to fully explain the story and process.
- Context & Information Architecture
- User Testing
- Context and Information Architecture
After discussing deliverables, my first task was to organise an Information Architecture workshop. Whilst I was preparing content for this workshop, my manager and I discussed various websites that were related to give us context and understanding audience expectations (for example we looked at British Gymnastics and Scottish Gymnastics websites).
Information Architecture was new to me and therefore my first priority was to grasp the subject. I read Levy’s book on UX Strategy and based the workshop presentation on his helpful points. The purpose of this workshop was to accomplish the following:
- Start the conversation about correct labelling and making information findable.
- Encourage the client to understand the importance of Information Architecture.
- Understand the personas for the Gymnastics Ireland website.
- Card sort and discuss the initial structure of the website.
- Interview key stakeholders to understand all of the organisational requirements
The workshop was attended by a total of 3 staff, myself and my manager, Jamie. I started the workshop with a presentation introducing th schedule and explaining the different words. The first stage of this workshop started with us writing down all the users of the website. Myself and my manager wrote down the stakeholder responses on A3 paper. After this half hour session I had a strong indication of who the audience is, what their respective expectations were and how to deliver the best experience to them.
Following this session, I wrote up top-level labels on sticky notes (such as About Us) and positioned these on the wall. I then awaited the suggestions from the client. By placing notes on a wall, we managed to ascertain the various sections and labels. Because this session was a mixture of open & closed card sorting, it slowly become complex and unmanaged. I had intended to do another session on collaborative Wireframing, however due to the hold up, I had to close the session and record everything that was discussed.